Oh hai — I’m back with a gin-you-wine sweater —
I started this beast back in April (while visiting old college roommates!!), maybe, and posted some in progress shots way back when. My clever Ravelry name for it was my “April Lady Sweater,” since it is based on that ingenious pattern, Pamela Wynne‘s February Lady Sweater.
Pardon my grim expression. I love it.
I modified the pattern a bit — first, fewer increases below the bust line make for a less dramatic A-line, and less swinginess. Second, I used a different lace pattern — instead of the gull stitch (which look like tiny inverted V’s of eyelets) I went with a plain vanilla ribbon eyelet effect — knit one, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit one, yarn over, ssk, knit one — which was easy enough for me to remember, and added just enough interest, though I could totally do a gigantic field of stockinette stitch with this yarn, Dream in Color Classy in Grey Tabby and be in heaven most of the time.
And OMG did you see the buttons? The pattern suggests using bigass buttons, and I don’t think that these disappoint. This was my first time:
a) Making button holes
b) Sewing in cardigan buttons
This might explain the drunken alignment of the, uh, holes in the buttons? I could make a big deal about their disorder, and go back to fix them, but they don’t bother me yet.
Why did it take me so long to finish this? After I’d finished the body of the sweater and gone back to knit the first sleeve, I way overestimated how much ease I needed for sleeves, and cast on enough stitches for two extra repeats of stitches. Eventually I realized that I was going through yarn like it was going out of style, and that the sleeve was gigantic.
Never one to ignore inertia or to jump to it to fix a problem, I continued knitting for a while and hoped that the problem would go away. Then I got a little queasy every time I looked it at. Finally, I punished the sweater by shoving it into a bag, and tried not to think about it each time I bought yarn for different projects.
All that stopped when I got the death flu (perhaps H1N1) three weeks ago, and had a lot of free time in which to rip back most of a sleeve, and then begin to reknit. And once I started, oh, it was so hard to stop… It’s been like finding knitting Jesus around here, since now I see the light about finishing old, nearly done projects.
This will be seeing a lot of wear.